|Opening Soon: Cafe de Leche in the 2400 block of Lake|
We've kept our eye on the rehab of this building on the west side of Lake Avenue north of Mariposa, soon opening as Cafe de Leche.
The quirky little structure was originally located at the intersection of Altadena Drive and Lake as one of more than 30 gasoline stations that serviced Altadena in the late 1920s.
|"Traffic Island, Lake Ave at Altadena Dr.,1930s"|
|Above: The gas station looking east, about 1930.|
|Red line indicates straightening of Altadena Drive |
in the 1970s. Red circle indicates original
location of station in the 1920s.
Based on maps in the AHS collection, we believe the structure was moved when the building that now houses El Patron restaurant was constructed, probably in the 1950s.
|The building was moved a few blocks south |
to it's current location.
La Leche Cafe, in the 2400 block of Lake Ave, is opening soon. Open daily 7 am to 5 pm. The menu includes coffee, tea, pastries, tamales, bagels and more. Their other location is in Highland Park. Find out more.