(These photographs of Switzer Camp in the San Gabriels
are courtesy of a friend of Altadena Historical Society.)
Founded in 1884, Switzer Camp was the idea of Perry Switzer who lived in Pasadena and made his living as a carpenter. His arroyo rock village, one of many privately owned attractions that dotted the front range of the San Gabriel mountains, hosted outdoor enthusiasts who hiked from one lodge to the next.
|Inside the lodge|
|The chapel, built from canyon arroyo rock, |
had a piano, bell tower and stained
glass window. It held 200 people.
Today all that remains of Switzer Camp are the chapel's arches and the overgrown foundation of the lodge. Hikers can access the shady canyon and falls area from Angeles Crest Highway (CA 2).
|View from the chapel|
To see all 46 photos go to this link.